Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Moon Musing

The moon tonight! It's so bright, with a little piece of it sliced off as though it really is a wheel of Gouda and some thief has slivered off a bit for his dinner. Can you see that here?
No. The moon is not terribly photogenic at least not on my camera. I tried, of course! I walked down the street in my boxer short jammies (blue with white stars) and my pink slippers. But of course, you don't need me to take a picture of the moon. You can step outside and see it for yourself.
Intriguing, isn't it that the moon shines so bright with light - reflected - yes, of course it's reflected light, I know that - but does it make it any less of a shine? Reflected light still casts its long moon-colored shadows; still illuminates: reveals in its gentle way as the breeze catches the leaves and grasses. Not so showy, the light of the moon.

And the small rustle of the breeze after the sultry heat of today. Reflected light is a blessing after the thick, sticky, relentless sun of today.

Jiggling the camera while I took a picture produced this image
which reminded me of this picture of Picasso painting with light
which blows my mind. 

3 comments:

Rosemary said...

<3

Yes, reflected light…we are reflected light.

Gina Lee Kim said...

Moon light, step aside! There's a shining star up ahead. Diana, your interweave video is out on pre-order....I just got an e-mail announcement. I can't wait to get it :)

Sending you the hugest (is that a word?) congratulations!

cathy slobodzian kress said...

I love your words. Cat Stevens and "Moon Shadow" just popped into my head. I guess that'll be my mental soundtrack for the rest of the night.