Thursday, December 16, 2010

Howling, Nudge 13

slow cloth time
Miss Julia's visit with me last Sunday reminded me of a time when my daughter was 13 (was that really 10 years ago?). Bess was obsessed with wolves, reading everything she could about them. She educated all of us about these beautiful, shy and maligned animals. 

I found out that there was a wolf pack in New Jersey at the Lakota Wolf Preserve , near the Delaware Water Gap and one fine fall day, I liberated my kids from school and we went.

There are four wolf packs there (all fenced in - no worries!). Some of the wolves from one of the packs were playing right where we could watch them tumble and roll like great big puppies. We saw one wolf have a squirrel snack. And then, on the path where the corners of the pack meet, we began to howl. The group of wolves that we could see immediately started howling with us. Gradually, wolves from all the four packs began to howl. We could hear them far in the distance - from a mile away. We all howled together - or was it singing?

It went deep within me, I could feel it in my gut - the howling. Mystical.

So that is Nudge #12 (oops, it #13). Howl - or sing - at the top of your out-of-key voice. Put on some music and dance and sing and hold a wooden spoon that you are pretending is a microphone. Sing. 'Tis the season.

I'll probably be sketchy here over the next couple of weeks. My kids will be home this weekend. I plan to spend a lot of time enjoying them. No more Nudges till the New Year. The Sketchbook Challenge blog has been busy as each artist is introduced. Jane Davies bio is up today and, if you scroll down, you'll see a scintillating little piece "Sketchbook:Defined" by meself.
xo Diana

10 comments:

Wendy said...

Diane, thanks so much for doing this for all of us.
I have one little request, though:
Would you please update the Nudges in the tab at the top of your blog? When i click on the Tab, it takes me to the Nudges page, but it only goes up to #10, and that one doesn't link to anything, so i'm kinda left hangin'.
I know you're extra busy, so THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
I'm enjoying this immensely!
=-)

Anonymous said...

Great Nudge! We have a wolf preserve near us and they are amazing. Enjoy your family time. xox Corrine

Timaree said...

I wonder if I dare listen to this. I think wolves sound wonderful but so do my dogs! They get really excited when the coyotes howl (like at 2a.m. this morning).

Diana Trout {Nan.DT@verizon.net} said...

Wendy - thanks for reminding me! I've just updated the Nudge page. Feel free to nudge me in the future.

That was the only time I've heard wolves. I suppose you would get used to it but ... wow. It is a memory that is clear today as it was 10 years ago.

Glad y'all liked this one.

Chris Flynn said...

Thanks for this... my dogs came alive... cutest expressions, turning their heads, nosing my laptop.
Thanks!

Jill Berry said...

My out of key voice? What about my operatic tones?
Love the wolves. Thanks for sharing my seestah.

Jill Berry said...

BTW, my big Parisian poodle did not care about these howlers at all. Not even a nod to them.

Sarah Anderson said...

My 16year old son loves wolves too. Great nudge, I'm a disco girl myself so a bit of 'It's raining men' at top whack will work for me ;) Happy Christmas :)

Serena Lewis said...

This post resonated with me as I have adored wolves ever since I was a little girl but, unfortunately, we don't have wolves here in Australia. I have always felt a connection and have seen the wolf as my Power Animal....they are such beautiful and mystical animals and sadly, misunderstood by many. What a wonderful experience to give to your children. Thanks for sharing the video with us.

Serena :)

Joy Logan said...

wow loved this of the wolves! How are you Diana?