Friday, September 24, 2010

A Quilting Odyssey


Dateline: Thursday, 10:50 pm (ET). I have just finished the last of the stars for what has become my version of the Funky Star Quilt from Material Obsession. I began this journey at the very beginning of June, read all about it here. Nearly four months ago.

I've learned the following things about myself:
I always change my mind.
I really don't like repetitive work.
I had a lot of quarter-yards of fabric
   (these three things should have informed me about the next thing)
I'm not much of a stick-to-it type (at least not gracefully).

Yeah, those quilters! They are a really stick-to-it bunch, aren't they? Healthy new respect.

I pictured myself cozily sewing the summer away. In reality, I like to keep my sewing projects small so they can be finished in a reasonable amount of time and I prefer hand sewing. I'm sick to death of making funky stars. That last one? I was cursing like a sailor. Really.

PS: Teddy likes: paper, fabric and sleeping in the best chair in the house. We are a match!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Diana, I know I should not use your blog to refer to mine, but a couple of hours ago I placed a link to your lovely Journal Spilling book which has revolutionised my creative life. Now I am spilling all over the place! In fact 'spill' has become the operative word. Thankyou so much. Actually, I have cross referenced journal spilling in two of my blogs for I am so enamoured of what you can do when 'spilling'. I've spilled in words ever since a small child, but this visualisation is something so alien to me, so releasing and I am hooked. Again -THANKYOU.

Kathryn Dyche said...

My mother and best friend both quilt. I tried it once but Ijust don't have the patience for it. Beautiful work though

Michelle LaPoint Rydell said...

Gorgeous quilt and I can so relate to not sticking to things. I prefer shorter projects too! Your cat is ADORABLE!!!

Jan said...

I totally love the colors you used in your blocks. Now to put them all together, huh. It will be gorgeous.

jane eileen said...

I am loving those color combos.

Jeannie said...

Your quilt makes me happy! Love the colors and design.

Unknown said...

What gorgeous colours! I'm not much for cutting and piecing myself. I really get bored with it. I've only made one quilt many years ago, cutting pieces by eyeballing them, and using applique for the main portion. Every stitch by hand, too, because that's the way my grandmother did it, and everyone knows that grandmother quilts are the standard to shoot for. I've been tempted to start another lately.

Adrianne in Portland said...

Your new cat seems to perfectly match your house!

Melly Testa said...

I AM WITH YOU!!! I took on the challenge of making 5, FIVE, quilt blocks. I wanted to befriend some traditional quilters and have a thing to do with female friends. Ohio Star. I made mistake, after mistake! Most of my seams match and I have them complete, but I did swear like a sailor. And 6 blocks are complete.

Dori Patrick said...

Hi Diana! Totally LOVING this quilt!!! It's gorgeous!!! Recently enjoyed watching your CPS video....lots of fun, and great ideas!!! Thanks!

Cassie Shella said...

I don't think I've seen a happier looking cat! Your stars are really cool but I am not a quilter - I just don't have the patience. Have a Blessed week.

Cassie Shella said...

I don't think I've seen a happier looking cat! Your stars are really cool but I am not a quilter - I just don't have the patience. Have a Blessed week.

Herm said...

Love your stars and mostly the colors!!!!

joe tulips said...

I absolutely love the way this quilt is looking!! I come back just to look at it, it is such a happy quilt.
I am glad for Teddy's owners, but sad that he had to leave you too.
I scrapbook more than art journal...so I glued some fabric to a 12x12 piece of paper...(the prompt)
Now it sits there, not sure what to do next! I don't have a digital camera yet...I am debating using my film camera, taking shots with the same rules! I just won't know what I will get! Julie